Friday, September 25, 2009

Steers and pigs and goats, oh my!

A few weeks ago, Gabe and I headed over to Lacrosse to stay the night and to watch the boys show their animals at the Palouse Fair. We didn't get a chance to make it to our local fair and I knew Gabe would be pretty interested in the animals. Uncle Chris showed his steer Topher and Uncle Justin showed his pig. Taking into account my limited experience and knowledge with farm animals, I thought they both did a fabulous job!

Gabe had absolutely no fear of the animals. I don't think he fully grasped how large they actually were. He kept wanting to pet Topher the cow.

This is the best picture we could get. Topher (the cow, not the Uncle) kept moo-ing and spitting all over Gabe and I and I couldn't keep a straight face..

Uncle Chris in the ring with Topher

Uncle Justin with his pig. I had never seen this before and it totally reminded me of a giant pinball machine. There are about twenty kids running around this ring, pretending like they actually have control of their animals. Meanwhile, they have to make eye contact with the judge the entire time, so every time they look up to make eye contact with him, their pig runs away. It's hysterical!

Great Grandma and Grandpa Wells came over for the day from the Hood Canal to visit and it was nice for Gabe to spend some time with them.

He had a lot of fun with Grandpa and loved to pull his checkbook out of his pocket when nobody was looking!

2 comments:

The McFarlane Family said...

Ha! The image of those kids and their pigs is cracking me up! I wish you had a video. Next year!

lynn said...

Oh Melody, how cute. I laughed while I read your comments cuz it brings back fair memories!!! Gabe had a ball - which means he HAS to get into this farm-life thing with Chris and Justin (and Grandpa). I can just see Gabe in the ring with a baby heifer!!